How comes my motion sensor light turns on and off repeatedly? A motion sensor that turns on or off nonstop could have a problem.
If it is not faulty, you should probably reset its sensitivity level. Motion sensor lights ensure the safety of the property and everyone within it.
So it is necessary to fix them as soon as they start malfunctioning. Here is a long article guide to help you understand and solve various motion sensor light issues.
Read it thoroughly and try to fix your equipment. Alternatively, seek professional help for issues you cannot solve by yourself.
Motion Sensor Light Turns On and Off Repeatedly: 7 Common Reasons
If your motion sensor activates itself needlessly, try to understand the root cause. Observe the motion light closely to see its exact behavior.
Issues with your motion sensor lights will always be due to a faulty component or wrong sensor settings.
Below are the main reasons why your motion sensor light is constantly flashing.
01. You have a damaged bulb
Are your indoor or outdoor motion sensor lights flickering nonstop? If yes, the bulb could be faulty.
Even if your fixtures are new, the bulb or the diode could malfunction. Bulbs are the first suspect when motion sensor lights repeatedly turn on and off.
02. A connection fault
A motion sensor light will work only if the connections between various components are error-free.
If there is a disconnection between the diode or bulb and the light fixture, your light will continuously flicker.
If the connection between these parts is okay, there might be debris triggering a disconnection. Cobwebs or some dead insect bodies could also affect the sensor light.
03. Damaged circuit system
If you have a faulty electrical circuit, your motion sensor light will flicker aimlessly.
Again your sensors may be okay, but the light components are not.
A problem with the circuit system needs instant repair to keep the whole security fixture working perfectly.
In addition, the circuit can function well but succumb to a power surge problem.
Thorough troubleshooting can help rule out power source issues or motion sensor light’s circuit system.
04. Wrong positioning of the sensor
Does your motion sensor light point in the correct direction?
The incorrect positioning of the sensor can cause it to detect even the harmless things in the yard.
When the sensor light faces the wrong direction, it can trigger light due to moving tree branches or speeding cars outside the property.
05. Maximum range setting
A motion sensor light that is constantly flashing could be working at the maximum range setting.
Thus, it is turning on often because of detecting movements of things beyond your property.
Motion sensor lights should reveal intruders that have jumped onto the property. Those outside it do not matter.
06. Pet immunity mode is off
Even if you do not have cats and dogs, your neighbors do. A wrong sensor light setting can cause it to sense movements from pets.
There can also be tiny pests that cross your yard at night.
Deactivating the pet immunity mode can make you think you have a big intruder in the yard, yet it is only a pet or a tiny nocturnal animal.
07. Incorrect angle range
All motion sensor lights can operate at any angle range between 180 degrees and 360 degrees.
If yours has a wider angle range than it should, it will detect harmless movements in your compound.
As a consequence, you can wake up thinking you have an intruder only to find swaying tree branches.
So far, you have probably noticed one thing. When your motion sensor lights turn on or off continuously, it might have two causes.
First, the system’s bulb, diode, or circuitry may have a defect. And if that is the case, the motion sensor lights will flicker continuously.
If there are no issues with these parts, the motion sensor light’s settings are not okay.
Whether it’s the positioning of the sensor, a wrong angle, or range, these things can change the functioning of the motion sensor light.
Before you fix anything, check if there is flickering or not. If the lights keep on flickering, the odds are that your sensors are working.
When the lights turn on or off aimlessly, you have a problem with the sensor settings.
First, understand the source of the problem to solve it correctly and fast. We will tell you how to correct the aforementioned problems below.
Motion Sensor Lights
Motion sensor lights automatically illuminate when they detect movements in their range of operation.
Some fixtures are great for indoor use and others work better outdoors. Motion sensor lights use occupancy sensors to sense heat and trigger the light.
A few types of motion sensor lights exist. These include passive infrared, photoelectric, area reflective, microwave, and dual technology.
After sensing motion, the light can stay on until the intruder gets out of the range. A user can also set how long the light should stay on.
When buying the correct motion sensor lighting, consider its features. First, check the type of bulbs it uses, the leading one being the light-emitting-diode or LED.
In LED fixtures, diodes produce light as electricity travels through them.
Other kinds are incandescent and fluorescent bulbs. Each type of bulb has its pros and cons, so choose wisely.
Other features to consider are the sensor’s range and angle. Each product will offer these two features and the differences are in the settings.
The last feature to consider is an energy source. Mostly, you can find motion sensor lights that use battery power, solar energy, or electricity.
Pick the best motion sensor lights for maximum security and peace of mind.
Solutions For The Problems
01. Change faulty bulbs – Solving a problem with a faulty bulb is easy. Just get a new one. Find the exact bulb for replacement. So, check if you have LED, incandescent, or fluorescent bulbs.
02. Fix the bad connection- If you are good at do-it-yourself tasks, open the motion sensor light and inspect it. Whatever you find between the diode and the lighting fixture is the problem. Solve the issue accordingly.
03. Repair the faulty circuitry–Unless you can solve issues in electronic gadgets, do not do it. Instead, hire a professional to check the circuit system of your motion sensor light.
04. Reposition the sensor– Checking the motion sensor light’s direction is easy. If you notice that it is pointing in the wrong direction, reposition the sensor. After that, it will capture only the field that matters.
05. Lower the maximum range –If your motion sensor’s sensitivity range is in the maximum setting, adjust it slightly. Bring it back to a lower sensitivity level to let the sensor detect relevant movements.
06. Enable the pet immunity mode – Modern motion sensor lights have a pet immunity mode. If small animals are within their range, they will not turn on. For that to happen, you must enable the pet immunity mode on the device.
07. Alter the angle range–Check if your motion sensor light is running beyond the best angle range. Then, make the angle narrower by covering both sides of the device with electrical tape.
Benefits Of Motion Sensor Lights
How vital are motion sensor lights to your home? Besides comfort, you want your home to feel secure.
Motion sensor lights are your best bet because of these advantages:
- Convenience – Most traditional types of lights use manual operation and it is inconvenient. Motion sensor lights are automatic fixtures, so there is no need to use a light switch.
- Increases home safety- Does your property feel unsafe lately? Has your neighborhood become so insecure these days? If yes, you can deter a thief or a large animal with motion sensor lights. Once the lights turn suddenly, the thief will be so scared that they will run away and never come back.
- Boosts mobility at night – If you are having a party in your backyard, the motion sensor lights can illuminate the compound. Also, if you arrive at night, the light will illuminate the yard so you can get in the house safely.
- Saves energy – If you want to illuminate your outdoor area without inflating your power bill, install solar-powered motion sensor lights. Also, you can keep your home secure at night without turning on the electricity. Motion sensor lights will come on when there is an intruder.
- Peace of mind – Motion sensor lights ensures that your home is safe whether you are present or absent. They will automatically react to movements and trigger light if there is danger. If they are not defective, motion sensor lights can largely boost your peace of mind.
Motion Sensor Light Turns On and Off Repeatedly Quick Solution
Common FAQs For Motion Sensor Light Turns On and Off Repeatedly
Can I purchase any motion sensor light?
No, you should avoid aimless buying. Take the time to observe your home’s security needs at night to determine the correct type of motion sensor light.
If you have an expansive yard, a floodlight can be the best choice. Alternatively, choose a high-quality spotlight to secure a high-risk spot.
Why does my motion sensor light turn on and off repeatedly?
Do not be in a hurry to buy another motion sensor light. Instead, observe the fixture’s behavior.
Frequent flickering is a sign that the bulb, diode, or circuitry has a problem. If the motion sensor light turns on and off, the sensor is probably the cause.
Check the settings and alter them correctly. If the problem persists, call a professional technician.
Do I have to charge my motion sensor lights?
Yes, you need to charge the devices if you charge with electricity or have rechargeable batteries.
If you want to avoid charging, then choose solar-powered lights. These will trap the sun’s energy throughout the day and produce light at night.
Even when the day is cloudy and dark, solar-powered lights will continue to work.
What if water damages my motion sensor lights?
A high-quality motion sensor light is safe for outdoor use because it is waterproof. Thus, it can withstand bad weather conditions like rain, ice, snow, and storms.
Are LED motion sensor lights the best choices to buy?
LED lights are the best choices because they use advanced technology. They also produce a soft but very bright glow when it gets dark.
Whether you choose LED motion sensor light for your garage, driveway, backyard, attic, or basement, it will not let you down.
How can I install a motion sensor light?
Usually, each motion sensor light you purchase will come with the Owner’s Manual. Ensure that you read the manual and follow what it says during installation.
If you cannot take on the job, get in touch with an expert.
Can I attempt to replace my defective motion sensor light?
If you have no ample knowledge of electricity and electronics, do not change a faulty motion sensor light. Some sensor lights connect to the home’s wiring system.
These are tricky to repair or replace. One can try a simple task like replacing a light bulb. Start by turning off the electricity on the socket and letting the bulb cool down.
Twist it out of the housing and insert the new bulb. After that, turn your electricity back on. If the wired motion sensor light is spoilt, call an expert to replace it.
Can I ignore my motion sensor light if it’s turning on and off repeatedly?
Even if your motion sensor light works automatically, it does not correct itself. If you ignore it when it malfunctions, you will put your security in danger.
Besides, the lights will turn on when they should not. Imagine waking up repeatedly at night to check who is outside. That can disturb your sleep and peace of mind.
As you may have noted, your motion sensor light turns on and off repeatedly for various reasons.
We have discussed seven problems that could cause this. Also, we have divided these issues into two.
If the motion sensor light flickers on and off, there could be defective components.
Additionally, the sensor settings could be off the normal levels and require adjustments.
After checking the fixture, you will determine whether you can fix it personally or need to call an expert.
Quick repair or replacement will ensure that nothing compromises the security of your home.